Faceapp is a mobile application developed by a Russian company wireless lab.
It was launched in January- February 2017.
This app transform a face to make it smile, younger, older and even change gender. It is really entertaining.
There is some concerns related to the data protection and privacy.
Let’s look at Global digital data 2019.
- Total world Population- 7.676 Billion 56% Urbanization.
- 5.112 Billion people using mobile means 67% mobile penetration.
- 4.388 Billion people are internet users – 57% internet penetration
- 3.488 Billion people are active on social media which is 45% of the population.
- 3.256 Billion (42%) are using social media on mobile.
Here we can say that major chunk of population are online generating more than 2.5 quintillion bytes of data each day (May 2018).
So The data privacy is major concern because citizen of any country are so gullible that they get trapped into attractive app for entertainment.
That’s why their data protection had become major responsibility for any country to protect us from any kind of miss use of our private data.
Faceapp founder on data protection
Yaroslav Goncharov states that the data of the users and their uploaded images were not being transferred to Russia and they were processed on servers in Google Cloud and Amazon web services (America).
But the terms and conditions in app which usually not read by users while allow them to access their private data drew concern.
And even US senator called for FBI investigation into faceapp.
Let’s read out Faceapp terms and conditions: